Smoke Control & Burning Guidelines:
Please follow these guidelines to help reduce the danger of fire and discomfort from smoke in the community.
Backyard open burning is allowed between October 1st and May 31st only. (unless otherwise posted). Prior to burning, please ensure the venting index http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/epdpa/venting/ is 'Good' (Phone: 1-888-281-2992).
Backyard burning is permitted from 6am to 6pm only. Fires must be completely extinguished by 6pm - no smoke/no flame.
ONLY DRY LEAVES, TREE TRIMMINGS & RESIDENTIAL YARD DEBRIS ARE ACCEPTABLE BURNING MATERIALS - UNDER 10cm IN DIAMETER
The burning of any construction waste, demolition debris, wet garbage, food or household waste, plastic, rubber, asphalt shingles, or similar material is prohibited.
- A responsible person is in constant supervision of the fire
- A hose or water source is available at all times
- The fire is hot and only dry materials is burned in order to avoid excessive smoke
- Fires are not ignited in high wind conditions
- Petroleum products are not used to accelerate or sustain the fire
- Debris must originate from the property where burning is taking place
We are in a High Sensitivity Smoke Zone
Residential Backyard Open Burning (Debris < 10cm)
- Piles to be no larger than 2 meters in diameter
- No permit required
- May only burn dry leaves and yard waste
- Must have a hose or tools to control the fire
- Must be 20 meters from any structure
- Must be 10 meters from trees, fence or shrubs
- Must be fully extinguished by 6 pm
- Limited to three consecutive days
USE OF INCINERATORS & BURN BARRELS IS PROHIBITED - Please do not burn yard waste inside any kind of container.
Campfires - WHEN PERMITTED
- No larger that 0.6 meters in diameter
- Campfires must be in a designated fire pit or approved commercial appliance
- No permit is required
- May only burn clean, dry wood
- Must be 6 meters away from any structure, timber, vegetative matter or flammable materials
- Must have a bucket or hose for water\must be fully extinguished by midnight
BEACH FIRES ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN THE DISTRICT OF METCHOSIN - Propane Fire Pits are allowed
ALL FIREWORKS ARE BANNED WITHIN THE DISTRICT OF METCHOSIN - Except on October 31 & December 31 (when a permit is required)
Burning of Large Diameter Debris > 10cm - NEW REGULATIONS 2019
- Must comply with the 2019 BC Environment Management Act and
Open Burning Smoke Control Regulations
- Written permit required from the Metchosin Fire Department, must have a copy on site
- Venting Index must be 'good' the day of and 'fair' the second allowable burn day
- Maximum of 2 consecutive days of burning
- Must be 500m from residences/1000m from schools - unless notification distributed
- Debris must be 'seasoned' as defined by the Regulation
- No burning of stumps allowed
- Permits issued at the discretion of the Fire Chief or designate - and can be recalled at any time
VENTING INDEX 1-888-281-2992
Please consider alternate solutions for debris removal, such as composting, chipping or leaving debris on the ground to develop natural habitats for animals.