Information for Voters
You are eligible to vote in the District of Metchosin election if you live within the District, or you are a non-resident property elector (you own property in Metchosin but live elsewhere in BC).
Only qualified District of Metchosin residents and non-resident property owners are eligible to vote in the Metchosin municipal election.
Resident Elector Qualifications
In order to be eligible to vote as a resident elector on Voting Day you must satisfy all of the following criteria:
- Age 18 or older; and
- A Canadian citizen, and
- A resident of British Columbia for a least 6 months immediately before the day of registration, and
- A resident of the District of Metchosin for at least 30 days immediately before the day of registration; and
- Not disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or be otherwise disqualified by law.
Are you on the Voters List?
You must register to vote before you receive a ballot. The District of Metchosin will use the Provincial Voters’ List as the District’s List of Registered Electors for the 2022 local general local election. If you are registered as an elector, you should already be on this list. To confirm you are on the Provincial Voters’ List in the District of Metchosin, please contact Elections BC by phone at 1-800-661-8683 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you feel you may not be on the list, or, if you wish to register to vote, you may do so online through Elections BC.
If you were not on the Provincial Voters’ List before it was provided to the District on July 18, 2022, your name will not be on the District’s list. Please contact the District of Metchosin Municipal Hall at 250-474-3167 to confirm whether you are registered to vote in the 2022 general local election.
Legislation requires that advance registration for the 2022 general local election must close at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday, August 16, 2022. After that time, people wishing to vote in the 2022 general local election must wait until advance voting or general voting day to register. Please complete Application for Registration as a Local Government Resident Elector in advance or at the polls.
Identification required when registering to Vote
- At least two pieces of ID must be shown that provides evidence of the person’s identity and place of residence, one of which must contain the person’s signature, OR
- At least two pieces of ID must be shown that provides evidence of the person’s identity, one of which must contain that person’s signature and the person must make a solemn declaration as to their place of residence.
Non-Resident Property Electors
People who are not residents of the District of Metchosin may vote if they own property in the District and qualify as a non-resident property owner.
To vote as a non-resident property elector, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You are not entitled to register as a resident elector in the District of Metchosin;
- You are not registered as a non-resident property elector in relation to any other parcel of property in the District of Metchosin;
- You are a Canadian citizen;
- You have been a resident of BC for at least 6 months immediately before the day of registration;
- You are 18 years or older; or you will be turning 18 on or before the election of October 15, 2022;
- You are not disqualified by any enactment from voting in an election or are otherwise disqualified by law;
- You have been a registered property owner in the District of Metchosin for at least 30 days immediately preceding the day of registration;
- The only persons who are registered owners of the property or individuals who are not holding the property in trust for a corporation or other trust; and
- You have received the written consent of the majority of registered owners of the property, authorizing you to be registered as the non-resident property elector for this property (if applicable). Only one person can vote in relation to a given property. Non Resident Property Elector Consent Form.
Please note that companies and corporations are not eligible to vote.
A non-resident property elector may also register at the time of voting. All of the above qualifications and identification requirements must be met. Proof of ownership may be established by presenting a 2022 Land Title Certificate or a 2022 Assessment of Property Tax Notice.
For further information about registering to vote as a non-resident property elector, please contact the District of Metchosin at 250-474-3167.